Friday, August 30, 2013

BUM CHUM Cloth Diapers Review

BUMCHUM Diaper is the one baby product I wished I had heard about it before my lo was born. I wud have bought many of them as they can be used for a long time. It was the first cloth diaper that I have ever seen and I quite liked it.

Click to read about other cloth diaper brands in India

WHAT IS BUMCHUM DIAPER ?
Its the new age diapering solution for all the modern moms in India.

Its a kind of cloth diaper that work as both the disposable one and reusable cloth diaper.
Can u belive it?

Because of its cost and difficulty in understanding its varities, functionality, material and usage via online sites,many of us stay away from buying it.I will try to explain about it in very laymen's language and its usefulness for many years of your babys life

There are three varieties ----bumchum fitted,bum chum cowboy and bumchum natural.....

Names are little confusing for first time buyers....... so I will explain one by one

1. BUMCHUM FITTED DIAPER
Actually, Its a pocket diaper.
"Now what the hell is pocket diaper."

Relax its not complicated,it has a pocket made in it ,which is used to stuff something(insert) inside it.

comes with a diaper cover and two inserts
Diaper cover's outer material is leak-proof and breathable

diaper cover with pocket

 Insert

inner material of diaper cover is highly absorbing that keeps the baby's skin dry for many hours.


 
Diaper cover has a pocket running from one side to another to put inserts in it.













It has snap on buttons to get a perfect fit for babies of all age(from 2 kg to 20 kg)







 
How many hrs does it works & how many inserts to put in it?
For a newborn,you have to change diaper after it is spoiled (by poop).as newborns poop every 2 to 14 times a day ,you have to change diaper as many times as diposable one or any cloth diaper.
for nine month old,you can change it after 3 or 4 hrs.but I have observed with my baby  using single insert only ,that it works for 5  hrs without any wetness in inner layer of diaper cover and babys skin ;and any leakage outside.
During day only one insert is enough for about 3 to 5 hrs(depending on weather ) and during night put two inserts for a long stretch of 8hrs.
I love bumchum pocket diapers a lot,with my experience ,can suggest u to buy without any doubt.


 2. BUMCHUM COWBOY DIAPER
These diapers consist of a diaper cover and a insert.
Its diaper cover is same as fitted one minus the pocket

 
 

its insert has snap on buttons in it that can be snapped on the diaper cover and tucked onto wide elastic band 
so here insert is not stuffed in any pocket.

inserts are bit large and made of highly absorbing material that keeps the baby's skin dry for almost 3 hrs.




 
 
How to use them ?
These diapers are easy to use .when the insert get soiled, just remove the insert wipe clean the diaper cover and snap on another insert .this way you will need only one diaper cover and six seven insert through out the day.they are good as day diapers but cannot be used for long duration during night without changing.

Why they are good?
You can save money by just buying few diaper cover(2 or 3) and more inserts.
good for newborns.as with newborn babies diaper needs to be changed many times.so its best to go with this one to save money on diapers.
I haven't used these diapers on my baby.read some good reviews about it from fellow mommy blogger who uses it more than pocket one .Also some bad reviews,some babies are heavy wetters ,so needs to be changed frequently than others.


3. BUMCHUM NATURAL DIAPER
They are made for babies with sensitive skin.

I have never personally used them on my baby but haven't read some good reviews on some online purchasing sites.complains were mostly about its not keeping baby's skin dry.

May be they are made for sensitive skin so lacking in absorbency.
well I haven't used them on my baby so I cant give my personal views on it.

 
Colours or prints available in BUMCHUM  diapers
  • Smart Alec looks like denim my fav one
  • Busy bee black and yellow horizontal stripes
  • Moo cow  interesting cow skins print 
 




Does it work during night?
ya,pocket diapers do, during night just add two inserts for extra protection,it works,for 6 to 8 hrs but yes there are incidents of leakage too after heavy wetting.
for newborn you have to change diaper at night too if it is spoiled by poop.

How many diapers will I have to buy for my baby ?
For a new born u might require as many diapers as the no. of times your baby poops.but then u might need 10 to 15 diapers a day.
but as baby grows up, u wont require a lot of them
For a nine month old u will need about 8 to 10 diapers a day if using bumchum only and doing ur laundry daily.

I have bought only six bumchum pocket diapers,I give my baby some nappy free time too(almost 2 hr twice while baby take naps).I have got normal blommers too and use disposables while travelling or days when I am very tired or ill to do laundry.


 
Why shud I buy it? 
  • Now u don't have to change your baby's diaper every half an hour like old cloth diapers (langots).
  • But still you don't have to waste money in buying disposable one which contains absorbing chemicals
  • Never run out of diaper.remember how many times u go out to just buy ur baby's diapers only.
  • no leaks only goodness of cloth.
What is their cost?
One diaper cost around Rs 825 to Rs 1045 and can be bought on a good discount online.
Ya, they are costly but if u look at their usefulness for a long time, and compare with money consumed on disposable ones,u will find them much cheaper than disposables if u use it for ur newborn upto he is a toddler.
 

From where do we buy Bumchum Diapers? Are they available in local shops?
 
U can easily buy them online ,I got mine from FLIPKART.I got a good discount on bumchum pocket diaper .Delivery was in time and product was really good.
 

So keep on checking these sites time to time for discount.another site to look for is AMAZON, its giving good discount on other modern cloth diapers .I haven't seen bumchum diapers on local shops,so I can't say anything
on that.

MY favourite bumchum diaper
my favourite one is the pocket diaper ie, bumchum fitted in denim print(smart alec). my lil birdie look so cool in these denim look like diapers.i have four of them.really. they goes well with all type of tops and tshirts.


 
  I will  say that I love cloth diapers.once u will use cloth diapers,u wud fall in love with them
 
read about other cloth diapers here Cloth diaper brands in India

20 comments:

  1. thanks sanjay ur words are very encouraging,i am trying my best to post something that cud help new parents for doing best for their little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too am full time cloth diapering mom and so passionate about it ...whenever i see a fellow mum using them it feels good, and i have 2 bumchum cowboys and 1 pocket ....and one more pocket of another brand ..my pockets are mostly outing diapers ...day nappies are mostly flats on origami folds ...the bamboo inserts are wonderfull soakers fr night time ..they are my boosters under my origami folded ones ...and they are a good soaker fr 10 to 11 hrs ...pocket nappies are usually not work horses fr nights they leaked badly on my daughter ....are u also a fulltime cd mum????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi sudha ,I am glad that u have written ur experience in detail which is also quite helpful.i too feel pocket diaper still cant be used as night time diaper for 10 hrs,they start leaking after 7 or 8 hrs, but I visited their site and I found they have come up with charcoal bamboo insert which is agreat soaker and can be used in their pocket as well as snap on diaper.
      and yes I am a cloth diapering mamma too,whenever I look at those diapers after washing and drying,i feel how much money is saved and how much less waste I have in my dustbin (if u see dustbins of people using disposable diapers......)
      but yes cleaning is a task,esp if soiled by poop,so now I have started using a liner over it that is disposable,not always whn I know there is a chance of p........

      Delete
    2. hi
      yes i agree with my son it ws some 5 to 7 diaper everyday and a separate garbage bag too!!!what a waste ...why nt switch to reusable liners too ...why add even a bit of that garbage!!!i use raw silk liners fr my flats and yes disposable ones r night as fleece didnt suit her it made her hot and rashes came out ...and yes im into cloth wipes too and make my own solution with water and coconut oil ..this is so addictive i must say if ur tight on budget u will jump at any sale or any DIY project!!! im nt sure if i will buy anymore insert i didnt hear much good review on charcol inserts

      Delete
    3. wow ,how innovative u are,with that cloth wipes and solution.i liked all ur ideas,i too believe all these non biodegradable things shud not be used too much.
      but with liners,some are bio degradable and environmental friendy made of cellulose......but still reusable liners are best if u r using it all the time.
      i

      Delete
    4. Hi Preity,

      Which liners are you using? m using diaper covers. As my baby poops a lot I wanted to opt for didisposable liners.

      Delete
    5. Hi Sudha,

      You mentioned about raw silk liners. Where did you get raw silk fabric from?

      Delete
    6. hi bindu
      sorry fr this late reply i was on vacation!!! raw silk liners readymade is not available in india ....i bought around 2 nd half mtrs of raw silk and cut it to the liner size in dbl size and stitched the size ....and yes immidiatly after buy wash it ..it shrinks horribly ...the texture of raw silk is grainy and rough bt extremly soft on baies bum ,they have healing powers beyond imagination

      Delete
  3. Where can I find/buy inserts for these diapers? Great informative article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u sonal for commenting on my post.
      as for inserts ,u can buy directly from bumchumdiapers.com ,I ithink they also provide cash on delivery option,infact they have come with charcoal bamboo inserts which can be used in both pocket(fitted) and snap(cowboy) diaper,microfibre inserts for pocket diaper are also available there.
      otherwise sometimes on baby oye I have found these inserts too,but right now they are out of stock

      Delete
  4. Can you share more about the liners you are using? I am trying to figure if I should be a cloth diaper mamma. I am not ok with old style cloth nappies yet - but researching

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi priyanka,its a lucky time for moms. so many alternatives to old style nappies(langots) are available these days,with coming of so many modern cloth diapers.u don't have to change baby's nappy every 10 mins for peeing(yes with my lo I did that for two months)

    for working moms ,cleaning nappies is also difficult and timetaking esp one soiled by poop.,but then liners are availables,use biodegradable one.

    I am going to write about liners this friday,their function,brands,how &when to use
    so pay a visit to my blog again
    ..bye take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Can I use these cloth diapers for my 9 months LO?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes ofcourse,baby usually get pottytrained by or after 2 ysr, so u need diapers still for long time.go for pocket diaper for nine month old baby.just start with one or two diapers only and see how it work for u? happy cloth diapering

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here we can get some new design of diapers for our babies. We can understand the importance of diapers; therefore we used to go for several types of disposal and cloth diapers to protect our baby's skin. But here these collections are really wonderful and provide suitable care to our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, really thanks for sharing beautiful information about cloth diaper. I requesting you please keep sharing this type of information.
    washable diapers in India, baby cloth diapers, aio diapers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi really thanks for awesome information about cloth diaper.
    Read about best diaper pail liners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here we can get some new design of diapers for our babies. blogger profile

    ReplyDelete
  12. While convenient, disposable diapers can be more expensive in the long run compared to cloth diapers, especially for families on a tight budget.
    Thanks for sharing wonderful information we had new diaper brand name Nubaby premium baby pants and diapers designed for toddlers are light and soft. Discover the ultimate in baby care with our premium diapers Nubaby diaper and pants

    ReplyDelete